Self Portrait of Substance



This week's 52 self portrait is based on Rodney Smith's short blurb about smiles in portraits and the false sentiment it evokes.
"The truth is no portrait of substance has people smiling. Look at the history of painting, Rembrandt, Titian, Goya, Velasquez, Sargent, Vermeer, DaVinci, etc., the subjects gaze to the viewer is neutral at best, neither inviting nor forbidding. It is there for the viewer to see and feel.
Smiling is like much of American popular culture, superficial and misleading. It is part of our vernacular, but it should be expunged in photographs."

3 comments:

  1. Beautiful light here, Annie! And a really interesting point of view as well. I agree with Smith to a degree, though I guess it depends if you're after a portrait or a memory of a different nature.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So beautiful Annie! I love the light. Interesting bit about smiles in portraits... I think you illustrated his point very well with this SP. I also agree with Char that it depends on the situation (i.e. parties, celebrations, etc., I certainly hope people are smiling when I take portraits of them :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have forgotten the most expensive painter Van Gogh, with colors incredible, not superficial

    ReplyDelete