Fuji X100/X100S 50mm Equivalent - UPDATE

Fuji X100S DIY 50mm teleconversion lens gear talk by Annie Hall Photography personal blog
Artsy, maybe, but not ideal for most photographs.
It's been 4 months since I acquired my little DIY 50mm teleconversion lens for the FujiX100S. Honestly, I haven't been using it too much. It is a little clunky at times and because the lens is so large, I have to use the electronic viewfinder all the time, which drains my camera battery much quicker.

However, I took it with me to Rhode Island for my week-long trip last week. After shooting with the combo for a whole week nonstop, I can confidently say that I will most likely be buying the real thing from Fujifilm!

This little DIY 50mm equivalent is most appropriate for:
- Artistic portraits of one person
- Close ups of an object
- The occasional snapshot of something you don't really care about edge to edge sharpness on.

Unfortunately, that's where the list ends. I've found that this DIY 50mm is not suitable for most things, woops!
- Group photos
- Photos of buildings / architecture
- Photos with a clear horizon line
- Event photography (because you need edge to edge sharpness for standard event photography)

Here are a few examples where I thought the weaknesses of this DIY 50mm were extremely apparent.

Fuji X100S DIY 50mm teleconversion lens
Terrible for group photos. Good thing I caught the issue and took another one without the attachment.

Fuji X100S DIY 50mm teleconversion lens
(with the lens attachment)

(without the lens attachment)

Fuji X100S DIY 50mm teleconversion lens
Yikes!

Fuji X100S DIY 50mm teleconversion lens

Fuji X100S DIY 50mm teleconversion lens

Fuji X100S DIY 50mm teleconversion lens

Fuji X100S DIY 50mm teleconversion lens


No comments:

Post a Comment